As an organization that collects, uses, and discloses personal information, BTN Financial Services Inc is subject to the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Document Act, (or by similar laws in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Quebec), effective January 1st, 2004. In complying with these laws, it is BTN Financial Services Inc who will provide you with information so that you may fully understand the purposes for which your personal information is collected.
Over the course of your relationship with BTN Financial Services Inc, personal information will be collected in order to administer your accounts. This information may include your financial information and investment objectives, in addition to your current investments, banking information, and your social insurance number. This information allows for, but is not limited to, the buying and selling of various financial products and services on your befalf, in addition to providing you with reporting and the administration of your account in a compliant and regulatory manner.
BTN Financial Services Inc does not disclose your information to any other organization(s) to use for their own purposes and in particular will never sell or trade your personal information.
The purposes for which we collect, use, and disclose your personal information are central to our being able to provide you with our services. Should you have objections to the collection and disclosure of your personal information, as listed in the foregoing, BTN Financial Services Inc will no longer be in a position to provide you with these services. Therefore, by maintaining your account with BTN Financial Services Inc, we will consider that you have consented to our collecting, using and disclosing your personal information.
The Privacy Commissioner of Canada defines privacy as an individual's right to maintain control over the uses and circulation of his or her Personal Information.
Our Commitment to You:
At BTN Financial Services Inc, our commitment to protecting the confidentiality and security of our clients' Personal Information has and always will be the most integral part of our corporate values. BTN Financial Services Inc has adopted the ten privacy principles established by the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information. These ten principles form part of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("Act"). This Act establishes rules governing the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information.
What is Personal Information?
Under the Act, Personal Information is broadly defined as information (data) - oral, written or electronic - about an identifiable individual. Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Name, address, and telephone number
- Age, gender, family, and marital status
- Identification numbers (such as Social Insurance Number or Driver's License)
- Financial and employment information
- Credit rating, payment records
- Previous insurance and claims experience
- Medical and health information
What is Not Personal Information?
The name, title, business address, or business telephone number of an employee of an organization ("business card information") is not considered Personal Information. Any data that we have collected in which all the "personal identifiers" have been removed, making it impossible to determine the identity of the person to whom it relates, is also not considered Personal Information.
Why We Ask For Your Personal Information:
We ask you for information to establish and service your needs as a client. The Personal Information we ask for depends on the product or service you are requesting. For all products and services offered by BTN Financial Services Inc, we need your name, address, and some form of identification. Here is why we need some of the other information we ask you to provide:
By providing us with your birth date we are able to better identify you and ensure that no one is trying to impersonate you. We may also use your birth date to determine your eligibility for products and/or services you are requesting.
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Your SIN is required for certain benefits and products that earn investment income in order to comply with Canada Revenue Agency's income reporting requirements. If you provide your SIN, we may also use it to keep your information seperate from other clients.
By providing us with your financial information, we are able to assess your eligibility for certain products and services.
Your health information is required for certain products and services to ensure you are eligible for coverage.
Our Ten Privacy Principles:
1. Accountability: All employees of BTN Financial Services Inc are accountable for protecting the confidentiality and security of all Personal Information under their control. We have designated individuals to oversee our compliance with the Act and ensure that our ten privacy principles are upheld.
2. Identifying Purposes: We will identify the purposes for which your Personal Information is being collected either before or at the time of collection. With your permission, your Personal Information may be collected, used and disclosed by BTN Financial Services Inc for the following purposes:
- Confirming your application information and assessing your eligibility for products and services;
- Providing you with ongoing services, establishing and maintaining communication with you, and responding to any inquiries you may have;
- Assessing the suitability of BTN Financial Services Inc's products or services for you or providing you with information on other products and services that may help meet your financial security needs;
- Notifying you about BTN Financial Services Inc events and activities;
- Meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
For these purposes we may share your Personal Information within BTN Financial Services Inc, with your other financial advisors, broker, plan administrator, other insurance companies, insurance reporting agencies, credit bureaus and with any other person, corporation or enterprise (such as your lawyer or accountant).
3. Consent: We will explain the reason for and obtain your consent before using your Personal Information for any purpose other than those listed above. We will only collect, use, and disclose your Personal Information with your consent, except where otherwise required or permitted by law. Your medical and health information will only be shared with your consent.
It is your right to choose not to provide us with some or all of your Personal Information. You may even deny us or withdraw consent to the use or disclosure of your Personal Information for certain purposes. However, it is important to remember that we require certain aspects of your Personal Information in order to establish your eligibility for certain products and services, or to continue to provide you with these products and services.
4. Limiting Collection: We will limit the collection of your Personal Information to only those details that are necessary for the purposes identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: We will only use your Personal Information for the purposes for which it was collected, unless you have consented otherwise, or when it is required or permitted by law. Your Personal Information will only be retained for the time necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, and to meet any legal or regulatory requirements.
6. Accuracy: We will keep your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as possible to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. You can assist us in ensuring your records are current by providing us with any changes to your Personal Information, such as an address change. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your Personal Information and amend it as necessary.
7. Safeguards: We will protect the Personal Information we collect from you with security safeguards. Unencrypted, electronically transmitted information is not 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us electronically or that you request us to transmit to you via public Internet.
Our systems and procedures are designed to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of your Personal Information. Only authorized employees and service providers of BTN Financial Services Inc have access to your Personal Information. Our commitment to security extends to the contracts and agreements that we sign with external suppliers and service providers.
8. Openness: We will make available to you information about our policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information.
9. Access: We will give you access to your Personal Information at your request, subject to any legal or business restrictions. There may be a nominal charge for doing so.
10. Challenging Compliance: You may contact us with any questions, concerns, or suggestions with respect to our ten privacy principles.
BTN Financial Services Inc would like to express its thanks to all those who visit this Website. However, please be aware of the following conditions of using this Site and if you do not agree with them, please exit this Site. Each time you use this Site you indicate your acceptance of the conditions set out under "Legal".
The information provided on this Site is intended to familiarize you with BTN Financial Services Inc, and to identify the markets to which our products and services are currently directed. It is not a detailed description of our products and services. Products and services available and markets served are believed to be accurate, however, we do not guarantee that (a) the information will be accurate, complete and current at all times, or (b) the information or the Site will be accessible by you at all times. All information provided on this Site, including the conditions presented under "Legal", is subject to change without notice.
This Site does not, and is not intended to provide any legal, financial, accounting, insurance, or tax advice and should not be relied upon by you for such advice. You should secure advice from your own professional advisors.
Your use of this Site is entirely at your own risk. Neither BTN Financial Services Inc, nor any of its affiliated companies, nor their officers, directors, employees, or agents, nor any other person associated with the creation and/or maintenance of this Site or its contents shall be responsible to any person for any harm, loss, or damage, however caused, that may arise from your use of the Site or its contents, or the unavailability of the Site for your use, including, without limitation, any direct, indirect, special, third party, or consequential damages. Without limiting the foregoing, BTN Financial Services Inc shall not be responsible for any detrimental reliance that you may place upon this Site or its contents.
If BTN Financial Services Inc provides you with a password to access any secure area of this Site, you agree to keep such password strictly confidential and not to disclose the password to any other person or entity. You agree to be liable for all uses of your password, including unauthorized use without your consent, and you acknowledge that BTN Financial Services Inc shall not be responsible for confirming the identity of any user. You agree to notify BTN Financial Services Inc immediately of the loss or unauthorized use of your user name and password. BTN Financial Services Inc has the right to restrict or cancel your access to any part or parts of this Site where access is controlled by a password at any time, with or without notice.
Certain secure areas of the Site may contain electronic forms or documents ("E-Documents"), which may be completed and submitted electronically to BTN Financial Services Inc in connection with the servicing and administration of BTN Financial Services Inc products and services. In completing and submitting E-Documents to BTN Financial Services Inc, you agree that E-Documents are the equivalent of written, paper versions of the documents and that your electronic activation of "I agree", "Submit", "OK", "Continue" or similar commands in response to online instructions has the same legal effect as if you had signed and delivered paper versions of the E- Documents to BTN Financial Services Inc.
All information provided on this Site is used for the business purposes of BTN Financial Services Inc. You agree that the Internet is not a secure medium, privacy cannot be ensured, and security and/or confidentiality over the Internet are not guaranteed. Without limiting any other disclaimer contained under "Legal", BTN Financial Services Inc, and its affiliated companies, shall not be responsible for any loss or damages you may incur as a result of your communicating confidential and/or personal information to us over the Internet or of our communicating, at your request, confidential and/or personal information to you over the Internet.
Hypertext links appearing in this Site to other worldwide websites are provided solely as a convenience to you. Hypertext links may appear on other worldwide websites and direct users to this Site. BTN Financial Services Inc does not endorse, nor is it responsible for, the contents or accuracy of any linked third party website.
This Site may contain tools and/or programs developed by others and housed on a third party server or website. While accessing this Site, you may be linked to such third party server or website. Your use of third party tools and/or programs, whether on this Site or on an independent website developed by others, remains subject to the conditions set out in this "Legal" section as well as any conditions imposed by the third party once linked to such server or website.
All products or services described on this Site shall be subject to the terms and conditions set forth in any applicable agreements, contracts, and policies and are available and intended for sale and distribution only in Canada. This Site is not intended to solicit business from people who reside outside of Canada. Please note that not all BTN Financial Services Inc products and services are available in all geographic regions of Canada. The information provided on this Site is not intended to be an offer to buy, sell, or solicit the buying or selling of the products or services described on this Site.
The laws of the Province of BC and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein shall govern any use of this Site. You hereby consent and submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of BC in any action or proceeding instituted in respect of your use of this Site.
The contents of this Site are the sole property of BTN Financial Services Inc. No reproductions can be made without the expressed written consent of BTN Financial Services Inc.